Sunday, May 10, 2009

Remarkable, Unsearchable Secrets of God









"This is what the LORD says, he who made the earth, the LORD who formed it and established it—the LORD is his name: 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Jeremiah 33:2-3 (NIV)
“This is what the Lord says—the Lord who made the earth, who formed and established it, whose name is the Lord: Ask me and I will tell you remarkable secrets you do not know about things to come." Jeremiah 33:2-3 (NLT)

Happy Mother's Day my friends! Today, as I look out into the world that God created I see the beauty of nature. I have been watching a family of Robins for the last few weeks as they have grown from two to six. Momma built her nest on the railing of my covered deck in plain view. For the last 4 weeks we have watched as the nest went from empty to being filled with four lovely blue eggs, to four not so lovely hatchlings. Now after only a week and a half we have fat feathery babies bouncing around the porch. This morning two were gone, off flying on their own. By afternoon, they were all out spreading their wings and experiencing the life they were created for.

This verse expresses and reminds me of the truth that God, our creator, knows so much more than we do. It assures us that he hears us and will share the information, his remarkable, unsearchable secrets with us if we ask him in faith. As I have gotten to watch as the miracle of life unfolds in this family of birds, I have thanked God for giving me the opportunity. Since childhood when we got to hatch baby chicks in elementary school we have known the mechanics of such an event. However, this is the first time I have had a front row seat to witness God's provision in such a tangible sweet way. It affirms my belief that God truly is in control and that he does indeed care for his creation right down to the baby birds on my porch. How awesome is that!

In a few short weeks, I will be some what like that mother bird on my porch. The "hatchling" I have nurtured for the last 17 1/2 years will be graduating from high school. She is going to be stretching her wings and expanding her territory as she flies with the Eagles of Morehead State University. I am sad to know that not only to see the empty bird's nest on my porch, but to know that in a very short time my nest too will be empty. But just as I have watched God provide for the needs of these babies through a mother bird, I know that God provided for my baby through me and will continue to do so. Even though she is leaving the nest to test the winds on her own, I know that she is in good hands. I celebrate her independence and trust that the lessons her father and I have tried to teach her will be evident in her choices. I also trust that God will guide her steps and protect her as she moves ever closer to adulthood. I remind myself that this is how it should be. It's what she was born to do; grow, mature under the guidance of her parents so that she too can go and fly freely and one day teach her own children to do the same.

Heavenly Father thank you so much for displaying the wonder of life in front of me these last few weeks. I have seen as these creatures have grown and been provided for by your mighty hand. God, I want to listen to your voice and continue to feel your presence as I have through these wonders of your creation. Help me stay focused on you with a listening heart and an open mind to follow your lead.

Have a blessed Mother's Day and may each of you be as blessed in His presence as I have been! Here's to the mothers of all of God's creatures!

0 comments: