Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Forgive and Forget

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Corinthians 6:11

Forgiveness is difficult, forgetting, impossible. How many of us have said, "I can forgive but not forget"? As human beings we tend to hold on to the past. Our memories, although not perfect since I sometimes can't remember why I went from one room to the next, are part of what makes us who we are. Our minds hold on to images, scents, sensations, all things that bring back a particular moment in our life experience on this planet. Sometimes the moments are good, heartwarming flashes that give us the warm and fuzzy feeling like being a child wrapped tightly in a quilt by our grandmother. Yet others are upsetting and painful filling us with dread and tears.

As we travel our journey in this human form waiting on eternity we spend day after day making new memories, having new experiences that fill our minds with tidbits of information to look back to. Some of us stop to make intentional memories. We soak in the smell of flowers, cologne, hand lotion, whatever reminds us of a particular person. I will always remember my grandmother every time I smell Jergens hand lotion. When I was little she always had a bottle sitting on her dresser. The cherry almond scent is forever embedded in my mind and it always brings me to her and the way she loved me.

Our memories can be tools for good but they can also be instruments of evil. When we hold on to memories of difficult, hurtful or disastrous moments in our lives and we relive those events not letting them go it becomes a stumbling block for us. If we constantly punish ourselves or others for our past indiscretions and bad decisions or actions we become locked in the pattern of unforgiveness. Although we may never truly forget the past, we must be willing to let go of the pain. We cannot hold on to those moments or seasons allowing them to be our focus if we expect to move past them to a personal relationship with God. We must forgive as he does. In Hebrews 8:12 he says, " For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more". As followers, believers, disciples of Jesus we have been washed, sanctified and justified in his Holy name by the Spirit of God. Even if we think forgiving and forgetting is not probable remember, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Dear God I am so thankful for the reminder today that you can work in and through me. You have washed me of my sins, you have set me apart, sanctified for your purpose and you have justified me through your son Jesus and by your Holy Spirit. It is through you that I have been given the power to forgive and the capacity to forget. Thank you, thank you for helping me move on to better things in you!

If you are stuck somewhere in your past, ask God to help you let go and live! It is beyond the power of the human mind but nothing is impossible with God!

0 comments: